Saturday, October 3, 2009

Blogs

Maybe it is because I have a job which involves spending eight hours a day in front of a laptop, or maybe it is because of the role of the internet for people in diaspora and the fact that I have recently entered the blogosphere myself, but lately I find myself spending a lot of time reading blogs. Not so much personal blogs, but mostly commentary and analysis on issues in science policy, aid and international development - stuff that I could get caught reading at work and wouldn't even be embarrassed by (OK, so I also check thisiswhyyourefat.com, which might be a little embarrassing). I am definitely late on the trend, but I am totally fascinated with how much information and how much insight is produced and disseminated by this new (come on, I can still say new) medium.

I am nervous about the sentence which I am about to type. Here, in what may be the slippery slope which ensures my descent into total dorkdom, are a few of the blogs which I've been reading. Who knows, maybe you are interested?

http://aidthoughts.org/ - Aid Thoughts provides some of the wittiest, most insightful and relevant commentary on development issues that I have seen.
http://moproblems.wordpress.com/ - Mo'dernity Mo' Problems. More than just a really clever name.
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/ - This is the New York Times' Economics Blog. It bills itself as "Explaining the Science of Everyday Life", and it really delivers a mix of micro and macro issues (hence 'Econo-mix'). Most posts are currently about issues relevant to the global financial crisis.
http://blogs.nyu.edu/fas/dri/aidwatch/ - This is the blog of NYU Professor and former World Bank economist Bill Easterly. He is somewhat of a polemic in the aid and development world, which is what makes his blog so excellent.
http://chrisblattman.com/ - This is the blog of Yale Professor/Development Consultant Chris Blattman. It is where I found this excellent video
http://informationincontext.typepad.com/ - "An Honest Conversation About the Impact of Aid"

There. I've done it, gotten the collective weight of the blogosphere (or my corner of it) off my chest...and back into the blogosphere.
... do you... do you want to share some blogs which you like...with me?

2 comments:

  1. Love the birthday song!!!
    Here are a few blogs / websites that are fun:
    inhabitat - check out world's tallest wooden building.
    norskeinteriorblogger - to practice Norwegian, and see nice homes.
    lansker forest cat - speaks for itself.

    ReplyDelete