Saturday, August 15, 2009

Here goes nothing

I've never tried blogging before, but I figure that now is as good a time as any to give it a shot. The name, however obscure and foreign (or worse, European), and thus a cliche in the blogosphere, is actually appropriate for a few reasons. For one, Forhåpningen is the name of my current street. It also translates (imperfectly) to hopeful expectation, my current emotional state. Tomorrow is the opening night of an important conference hosted by the organization which I've come here to work for, and I'm eager to get started with my project.
AND The day after marks the end of my first week in
Tromsø. Wow.

I'm still not really sure what form this blog will take, but maybe you can help me decide. In the meantime, here's a video of a street musician that I saw today in the City Center - it was a beautiful day out, and the streets were filled with people. Later, he complained that the music playing from the H&M behind him was drowning him out.

Lots of love from 39
Forhåpningen,
Evan


2 comments:

  1. What do you study? Do tell more!

    Maya
    (Yes, from bx sci)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maya?! Azran? Fix? Grinberg? Whichever one you may be, good to hear from you! I'm actually here for one year studying some of the political considerations of biotechnology, and its potential as a tool for agricultural development and food security. More specifically, I'm studying 'biosafety capacity building', which involves setting up the proper regulatory frameworks and scientific infrastructure for developing countries to minimize the risks associated with genetically modified organisms. Blah blah blah. The other day I ate reindeer. How are you?

    ReplyDelete